Thursday, December 10, 2009

As I contemplated all of the materials, class discussions, and learning experiences of this course, I had to chuckle to myself, because what I learned was not at all what I had anticipated when I registered for it. I had in my mind some picture of Doc bringing in his guitar, and us dragging our instruments to the fourth floor, and learning different worship leading techniques or something. What I found in this class, however, was quite different.
I eventually learned that my high hopes of worship leading techniques, were actually spoken against in this class -that my worship of the waiter, rather than the meal was actually idolatry.
Instead of techiniques and steps and things, I learned something that quite transcends instruments, and musical notes, and so on. Instead I learned about the Centrality of the Gospel, the Authority of Scripture, and the Supremacy of Christ. I learned that God the Father has outlined in Scripture, specifics about how He is to be worshipped, and that this is all much bigger than whether you have guitars or an organ on sunday morning.
Through reading of authors dating back to the Puritan era, and up to the past few years, we were able to observe the earnest effort of godly men to keep the Scripture, and the Trinity present in Worship. We are saved for the glory of God alone.
I have now learned that the texts of worship ought to contain, or atleast mirror the language of Scripture. I have commited to seek to worship as Scriture outlines, that my worship be Logo-centric, Christo-centric and FOR HIS GLORY ALONE! I have not yet arrived but I know where I am heading!

No comments:

Post a Comment